As soccer continues to grow in North Alabama and across the state, more referees are needed to support the growth. North Alabama already has a shortage of soccer referees and referees are vital to the success and growth of our sport; a game cannot be played without referees.
North Alabama SC is continuing our successful New Soccer Referee Program for the 2020-2021 season to bring youth players into refereeing and help address the shortage.
Give back to your sport and join the more than 30 North Alabama SC players that have been certified as referee through our program.
How the Program Works
- How Many Spots are Available?: North Alabama SC will reimburse up to 12 players on a first come, first serve basis.
- Eligibility: The soccer referee program is open to all North Alabama SC players ages 14*-19 that are registered and rostered to play with the Club for the Fall 2020 season and will be a new/first-time referee. *Players that are currently 13 can complete the referee certification process, but must turn 14 by February 1, 2021 to be eligible and will not be eligible to referee until they turn 14.
- Reimbursement: Players will be reimbursed up to $130 to cover the cost of receiving their U.S. Soccer (USSF) Grassroots license: $100 for the USSF registration fee and the $30 for the mandatory background check (only required for players 18 and 19). Reimbursement is paid after the player successfully completes the course work and is certified as a referee. Reimbursement instructions will be emailed separately.
- Game Requirement: Player must referee at least four (4) North Alabama SC hosted tournament or youth event games within 12-months of receiving their reimbursement. Note - Player will be paid for refereeing at these events.
- Does Not Include: Program does NOT reimburse for the cost of the Referee Kit (uniform, flags, whistle, etc.) or for annual re-certification.
Benefits of Becoming a Soccer Referee
- Earn money while giving back to the sport you love
- Flexible schedule - you set your own schedule
- Opportunity to better understand the game and learn the laws of the game
- Become a better, more well-rounded player
- Great exercise
This year's First-time Grassroots Referee Certification Clinics will be held virtually via Zoom.
- Create a profile and register at the U.S. Soccer Referee Learning Center (each referee will need to register with their own email address. If your player does not have their own personal email address, please create one before registering)
- Select one of the online/virtual training courses being held in August by clicking one of the Virtual Referee Course links below and paying the registration fee. Note - Each session is limited to 20 participants and registration closes the Wednesday before the session start date.
- Notify North Alabama SC that you are registered for a referee certification course by completing the Google Form at https://forms.gle/DRRBaG6X35VW4sPp6
- Complete the online coursework and be certified as a referee.
- North Alabama SC will email you with instructions on how to submit your reimbursement request post the completion of your course.
Alabama Virtual Referee Course Links
Zoom Virtual New Referee Clinic - Saturday, August 8th - 9:00-10:30 AM
Zoom Virtual New Referee Clinic - Saturday, August 15th - 9:00-10:30 AM
Zoom Virtual New Referee Clinic - Saturday, August 29th - 9:00-10:30 AM
Note - If your player is under 18, a parent should assist with the registration steps and online payment.